Jun 29, 2011

{Osnaburg fabric...the poor man's linen}

My new obsession...Osnaburg fabric.  I've dubbed it the "poor man's linen." 



It's lovely, isn't it?  With it's nubby, imperfect, rough goodness. I want to use it for everything now and at $3.99/yard, I can, because it's so affordable!  I got a few yards at Michael's and I have a few projects in mind.

I made this "Osnaburg" linen pin board for my mom.  I plan on making another one for our kitchen, but I just haven't found the time, yet.


I used it to make euro shams for our guest bedroom.  I just sewed the sides together to make the pillow, and then made cute little ties out of some extra lengths of fabric to tie them closed.


Next, I think I am going to make pillows with it for our family room.  I love the idea of using the neutral fabric as a backdrop to other colorful pillows that can be easily changed to suit my mood.   And according to Justin, my mood changes often, so I may be switching pillows out a lot.

6 comments:

  1. Not sure if you have a Handcocks Fabric in your area.. but in San Antonio TX our Handcocks had the fabric for $2.99. "Poor Man's Linen"... LOL you hit the nail on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I LOVE this! Maybe I'll cover my bar stools in the basement with this! And my piano bench! Must write this down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog tonight. My husband and I also just moved into our "builder beige" house in March. We upgraded to get the beige (vs. just primer), so sadly we're abiding by the one-year rule and not painting anything for now. So I'm trying to find crafty ways to spruce things up.

    First, I love the Hemnes console idea for your kitchen! Not sure it'll match our table. I'll have to wait until I can get to Ikea to see what the black brown looks like in person.

    Second, I have a new Ball jar obsession! I actually found some blue ones at a garage sale over the weekend. 7 for 75¢! No lids, but I'm a happy girl.

    Third, I literally just bought this fabric TODAY! Like just hours ago. I'm planning on using it in the dining room for a table runner. Although my husband really likes the patterned fabric I found too, so we'll see. It will get used somewhere regardless :)

    I wish my husband was as on-board with projects as yours. I have convinced him to put up some white cabinets in our super narrow laundry room. No mud room for us though! We're struggling with a show storage solution in there (the laundry room).

    Anyway, love the blog! I'll be stopping back often to see your progress, and get some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work at Hancock Fabrics and we sell a ton of Osnaburg. Curtains, pillows, apparell. I thought/heard that it dates back to the 19th century at least and was used in the curing of meat and making of cheese. Also, clothing.
    Anybody hear that tale?
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this fabric! Thanks so much for sharing the name!! You can't beat the price.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.