May 16, 2011

{Spray Painted Headboard}

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.”

- Edgar Degas

I spray painted a JC Penney headboard that I have had for awhile...and the results were pretty good!

The before of this bed was shiny, brassy, and metal.  I got it from online and didn't pay much for it here.  I even used retailmenot.com and got a coupon for 15% off, and then picked it up from the store, so shipping was free.  I think I paid about $120 for the headboard when it was all said and done. 

Not too bad, but I was going for a look like this...

This is the Queen Mendocino Bed from Pottery Barn and the regular price is $1,099.00 with a delivery surcharge of $75.00.  Way...let me say that again...WAY...out of my price range! 

So, when I bought it from the online catalog at JC Penney, I definitely was hoping for the best.  But instead, I got something like this...


Not terrible, but definitely not the look I was going for.  It was a little too shiny, a little too brassy, and a little too, well, it just wasn't right.  I almost thought I got burned, until I saw what The Lettered Cottage did to theirs...the same bed...with Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint!

So, I had to copy!  We laid out the original cardboard box and got to spraying...we didn't even prime!  We used Rust-Oleum's ORB Universal Spray Paint, and I have to say, I think it turned out fantastic.  I think it's a great knock-off and it saved me about $1000!  That is great savings...if I do say so myself!

While I was at it, I sprayed the candle holders as well.  They were brushed nickel before, and now they are lovely with the bed.  I have two, but only use one in this room!



 
Spray Painting Tips:
1. SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE!
2. Go slow...and take long sweeping swoops across the item.
3. Several, thin coats, are better than one big thick coat.
4. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!
5. Prep your item.  Clean well...the paint will stick to dirt, and you don't want that!

spray paint party


8 comments:

  1. Stunning! I love the bedside table too. Great room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW..that looks fantastic. Welcome to blogging. I host a newbie party every Monday..you may want to hop in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW...thank you so much! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I love sharing and am having a blast. I am working on photography skills...as I have none!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GORGEOUS! I love ORB, it has such a fantastic finish! And what a great deal on the headboard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Stephanie...thank you! I love it too...and will be spray painting more! It was so easy. Shop around and it's easy to get great deals...plus retailmenot is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin, love this! I need a headboard for my guest room.. I'm totally inspired to buy a not-so-perfect one on the cheap and make fabulous like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks lovely, I just purchased the same color paint for a bedroom console I want to have match my headboard which is close in color, now I'm inspired having seen yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.