Sep 29, 2011

{Decorating for Fall}

To be quite honest, decorating for the seasons, or for the holidays, isn’t really my thing.  I have a hard time visualizing what I want, I hate spending the money for stuff I won’t use all year, and I always have a hard time getting motivated to change little things here and there just because the weather has changed a bit.  But I usually follow along, and do “something” to decorate.  I definitely like things that take our decor to Halloween and then to Thanksgiving…that way I don’t have to really think about changing things up until December.

This year, I decided to make my own wreath, well sort of.  I  bought a grapevine wreath at Michael’s for $4.99, but since I had a 40% off coupon I got it for $2.99.  Then I bought 12 berries on stems that were on sale for 50% off (each for $.99).  Then I just stuck the stems into the grapevine wreath, clipped the ends off and tucked into the wreath to hide their cut ends, and then tied a bow.  It was easy peasy and I only spent $15!  I know it’s not very fancy, and I didn’t use a new or fancy trick to make it, but I’m okay with that fact.  It’s just a simple and easy wreath for fall, and that’s just what our door and I needed.

IMG_1870

IMG_1871

Now, if I really get motivated and get the time, I may try my hand at making one (or a few)of these beauties for a special place (or places) inside our home…

star anise wreath

 

I spied it the other day at Target for $40.  It’s made from star anise whole spices.  I checked it out, and it looks like the foam was spray painted brown, and then these little stars were just glued all around it.  I do love the way this looks!  The best part…it smelled divine!  Tie this with a red or blue ribbon, and it not only looks great for fall, but it would be great for winter!  I was thinking that a smaller version of this wreath would look great hanging on the inside of all of my windows.  I may be ordering some star anise in bulk very soon!

Then there is the “The Kid!”  I was excited to get him geared up for Trick or Treating!  So, I picked up a couple little plastic spooky animals from the dollar bin at Target to place around our stoop.  The purple snake took Justin’s breath away the other day when he was out working in the yard…and for that, folks…it was worth every penny!

IMG_1869

These gross little jelly clingy thingies were also found at Target in the dollar bin.  I thought they were kind of funny, but kind of gross…so I bought them ($1 for a package).  We got eyeballs, pumpkins, and these little “bloody” handprints.  IMG_1867

Well, I’ve had enough of fall decorating…and now it’s time to clean up what I’m left with…a fall decorating mess.

IMG_1874

IMG_1877

Happy Fall Y’all!

6 comments:

  1. Well, but the wreath is great! And best of all: You can use him next year once again :-) I made one years ago with fresh berries - puh! Never ever again!
    And at this time of year in germany you can buy very nice wreath at the market for less money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It does look nice on the door. Sometimes the simplest things turn out to be the nicest things...you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wreath is so simple and lovely! Isn't it great how far all the %50 off can get you?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good info, many thank you to the author. It is incomprehensible to me now, but in general, the particular usefulness and importance is overpowering. Thanks again and good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.