Sep 30, 2012

{Turning IKEA into Custom Built-Ins!} PART II

We’re finished! 

custom built in

We have successfully turned two IKEA Hemnes glass door with drawers cabinets into custom cabinets.  In our PART I post I explained how we removed the base molding on our wall, attached the two cabinets with carriage bolts to make one cabinet, added a new backing, crown to the top, and wrapped the whole thing with new base moldings to give it a custom built-in look. 

Essentially we turned two of these…

HEMNES Glass-door cabinet with 4 drawers IKEA Solid wood; gives a natural feel.…into custom!

Here’s a look at the finished piece:

IMG_3534

And here’s how we did it!

Once the cabinet was placed in it’s permanent position, and molding was added to the base, and crown was added to the top, this is what we did to add the finishing touches:

1.  Added lattice to the perimeter of all the drawers.  This gave each drawer a much chunkier, custom look.  It was amazing how much we loved the cabinet even more when we added the drawers.  This was exactly what we did on our IKEA Rast side table hack.  Once the lattice was added, we caulked and painted the drawers with Sherwin Williams Extra White in satin (which matches all of our existing trim and woodwork).

molding

2.  We then added new hardware.  We found great oil rubbed bronze latches from Rejuvenation.  We thought these were pretty pricey, and looked for similar products at other places, but we just couldn’t find what we really liked.  So, we splurged and purchased the latches from Rejuvenation.

We did almost choose these from Pottery Barn, which I liked, but didn’t love.  They were a considerable savings, but since this is going to be here for a long, long time, I went ahead and purchased what I loved.  Pottery Barn did have an oval knob latch, like Rejuvenation’s, but by the time I got to it, they were sold out.  Defeated.

Icebox Latch

The drawer pulls are from the Home Depot and they are actually found in the window hardware area!  They are sash pulls, and can be purchased in oil rubbed bronze.  They were cheap at about $2 each!

The knobs were purchased at Lowes.  They were about $2 each as well.

hardware

Here are some pictures of the finished cabinet!

IMG_3526

IMG_3524

Summer 2012

Speaking of kitchen updates…

Thanks to all who voted on the chandelier vs. school house light decision we need to make.

We went with…

IMG_3548

…the Graham Chandelier from Pottery Barn with the burlap shades.

We still have plans to use those school house lights, and we are thinking about adding two over the island!  We had the builder install two light hook ups, so now it’s just a matter of saving some money to make that change!

Here is a before and after of our kitchen updates so far…

October 2012

The changes are subtle, but we are liking the direction we’re heading!

Take care, everyone!

Be Well,

42 comments:

  1. Nicely done...love the idea of the schoolhouse lights over the island!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your projects:)
    They're so pretty!

    Eszter

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOH could kiss you! I've been looking EVERYWHERE for weeks looking for a hutch for a small kitchen wall - we really need extra storage space. Unfortunately, everything I've seen has been too big... or the one viable option at Pottery Barn sold out :(

    I had just given up hope and decided to buy this Hemnes glass front cabinet and was sort of bemoaning the generic/too modern for our decor look, and wondering what I could do to make it fit in better. Your post is PERFECTION for me! I'll be doing this with one cabinet instead of two, but I think I'll be pretty happy with my end result regardless :)

    Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous!! We have the Hemnes tv stand and units without doors/drawers so this would be an awesome compliment to that. One question though: did you have to modify the drawers at all to make it so the lattice didn't stick out further than the sides of the unit??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bottom drawers did not need adjusting. Top drawers were adjested from the inside. They have screws and you can adjust them.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful job! It looks Fantastic! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a beautiful work!!!!!!
    It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! And what an excellent tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing it. I do have one question; what did you do for the center where the two cabinets meet? Did you cover it with lattice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, covered the gap with a piece of lattice. Lattice is your friend!

      Delete
  8. Wow .. looks fantastic! So jealous of your ikea prices in the US. Just to buy one of those Hemnes units over here in Perth, West Australia, would set you back $700 before you modified anything ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. How funny! I came here looking for help with storage on a small dining room wall, and I noticed we have the same Graham PB chandelier!! I'm in love with these cabinets! Thank you : )
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea to customize these cabinets. I love Ikea transformations, and this one is just gorgeous. I can't decide which look I like better in your dining room though, I like them both! Although, less dusting with the bottom closed right? Wonderful job I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing Ikea hack. It looks so great no one would ever know. Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a diffrence! So much better with the built-in look to them. Oh I have this linked to my DIY built-ins roundup post too today, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done - this would be perfect in my new studio/workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...what a transformation. I am so glad to have found your blog. I just started my own blog chronicling the trial and tribulations of fixing up my first apartment and, on a very tight budget. I hope you stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This came out AMAZING. Can't wait to try this! Thanks for the super-helpful posts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK I love this, also very jealous, but absolutly love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is awesome! I just found your blog via Centsational Girl! Congrats on your feature. Going to poke around your blog a bit more:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful. you are such an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Breathtaking! Found you on the Ikea Hackers webiste. Pinned this for later! Looks so fantastic!

    Jen
    athomeinthenorthwestblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is absolutely genius and gorgeous! Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Saw this on Pinterest...awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Saw this on pinterest...nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love what you did with this basic Ikea cabinet! I want to do the same thing to create a "custom-look" linen closet at the end of a hallway. Did you have to do anything special to it before painting it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we just painted. No priming, no sanding, just paint. Turns out fine every time.

      Delete
    2. Did you use oil based or water based paint? And what did you attach the lattice with? (Nails, tacks, liquid nails?)

      Delete
  24. I love, love, love this! I have a question for you. You referred to using lattice in several places. But as I under stand it, lattice is an open weave wood panel ,used under decks and for trellises and such. Look here at some pictures... I googled trellis, under images.

    https://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=639&q=lattice&oq=lattice&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1819.3097.0.3679.7.6.0.1.1.0.57.317.6.6.0...0.0...1ac.1.N-jH78iafhQ

    It looks nothing like what you are using. I am trying to figure out the real name to what you are using when you say "trellis". I really want to duplicate what you and your husband did. I just need to make sure I get all the right items, before I start.

    Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimi,
      Lattice is the real name/term for wood that has been cut in a small width (about 1 inch) and depth (about 1/4 of an inch). Lowes and Home Depot sell it in their pre-milled wood areas and it is called lattice. It is not the open weave you are referring too, although that is called decking lattice. Walk around the milled lumber/trim area and check out all the different pieces of wood and you will surely see it.

      Delete
  25. I love this! Did you spray this with a paint sprayer? If so, what type of sprayer did you use? Did you add anything to the paint to make it flow better? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE this transformation! I have a question......did you repaint the entire cabinets white? Or did you only repaint the trim pieces you added? If you did the latter, how did you get the finish to match all over? Thanks so much for the inspiration!
    Now I'm off to read the rest of your blog..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I noticed you said the cabinets were bolted together. Did you also bolt them to wall? Ikea recommends it, but they may do that for insurance purpose,s.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Kathy! I love this piece! It's what we wnt in our kitchen!
    Can you tell me how you finished the bottom and what you used?
    Thanks I can't wait to start ours!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous! We are getting ready to start something similar with Hemnes. Do you have any details on the moulding around the floor?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I LOVE your customization of plain furniture to look absolutely beautiful! I am considering the "lattice" look on some kitchen cabinets door/drawer fronts. How did you attach the lattice to the door fronts? I'm a TOTAL newbie to the home DIY and we just bought our 1st home and could use any advice! thank you so much!!

    BTW, I love your mudroom storage unit too! I'm looking to make a miniature version for our little entrance for my twins :)
    thank you,
    eunice

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks amazing! Being new homeowners, I wish my husband and I were handy with things like this. I hope you can answer a couple of questions for me. I love the hardware you used from Rejuvenation. Weren't there already holes pre-drilled in the glass doors for the included hardware? If so, how did you cover that up? Same with the pulls on the top drawers, how did you cover the holes if there were existing ones? Also, did you have to repaint both cabinets so match the paint color for the molding? Thanks!!!

    Meridethsullivan@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your links to Part I and other Ikea hacks don't work. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.